What should you do if you cannot afford child support payments?

On Behalf of | Jul 3, 2020 | family law |

You want to take care of your children, but you fell behind on child support payments. You do not want to come across as an uncaring parent, and maybe embarrassment keeps you from speaking with the other parent.

National Family Solutions offers tips for parents in your position. See how to remain on the right side of the law and do the right thing for your child.

Look at your budget

Have you already adjusted your spending to make it easier to pay child support? You may have overlooked something. Run through your budget again, looking for yearly membership fees and automatic payments for services you do not need or never use. Going back a year or two in your bank statements rather than a few months gives you deeper insight into how your money flows in and where it trickles out.

Secure legal advocacy

Adjusting your budget may not be enough to meet your child support obligations. If so, research legal advocacy groups that can put you in touch with a case manager who can help you. While advocacy groups can aid in court motions and submitting the necessary documents, you may want a legal professional to look over everything to ensure you have what you need to make your case.

Visit a Child Support Enforcement Agency

Illinois has a Child Support Enforcement Agency that may help you adjust your child support order to an amount you have an easier time managing. Prepare to detail the reason you cannot meet child support payments. When filling out forms, remain completely honest, and include as many details as you can. That way, you have a better chance of receiving approval for a child support modification.

Hopefully, you can easily adjust your child support payments. The other parent may be more understanding than you may think.