What guidelines are used for child support in Illinois?

On Behalf of | Feb 1, 2019 | family law |

When a couple in Illinois ends a marriage, they must consider how they will handle child support. It is important to have a grasp on what state law says about the process in which it is calculated. All parents will agree that support for their children is an integral point that should not be ignored. However, there are frequent disagreements as to the amount that must be paid. The goal of the guidelines is to have a basis of what will be paid. This is to avoid dispute and make the process as reasonable for both sides as possible. However, there can still be disagreements about support. Having legal advice is imperative in these cases.

The parents’ income will determine how much child support must be paid. Income shares are the basis of how much is to be paid. With income shares, there is a table that will consider the parents’ combined income and a percentage that will be gauged based on what was spent on the child when the parents were living together. If the couple has a shared parenting agreement, with the parents having the child for an equal number of overnights per year, the support obligation will be multiplied by 1.5. The amount of time the parents spend with the child will be factored into the child support obligation.

When the parents’ net income is determined, it will be done by either checking their standardized tax amount or their individualized tax amount. The gross income stems from all sources apart from public assistance and income or benefits from other children who live in the household. When a judge assesses what expenses will be considered in a child support order, the basic needs like food and clothing will be considered. Transportation, activities and medical coverage will be included. Other responsibilities that can be added to the noncustodial parent can be daycare, medical care that insurance does not cover, private schooling and more.

The child support obligation concludes when the child turns 18 or 19 if he or she is still in high school. If the child becomes emancipated, child support will end. That happens if he or she marries, enters the military, gains employment and does not need to be supported by a parent, or moves out of the home and is independent. People who are confused or are having problems with their child support situation should have legal advice from the start by contacting a lawyer who understands family law. This is true before, during and after a case has been completed.

Call Now To Schedule an Appointment